Tuesday 4 June 2013

THE LADY LOVES ORANGE


Faber Castell Artist's Brush Pens and Dovercraft Dual Tip Markers
used for all 5 drawings shown on this post
In my childhood Clarice Cliff Art Deco pottery was used for it's intended purpose - drinking a coffee, eating a meal, putting flowers in a vase.  Nowadays items can be worth hundreds or even thousands of pounds sterling depending on their size and rarity. 

When I was about 4 or 5 years old I hated the stuff, the strange orange trees and red mountains offended my sense of what was right, and what I thought of as streaky paint looked like careless painting.  And boy, did that lady love orange!


Now that I am older and wiser, and know more about art, I hate it even more.  So why have I chosen to use Clarice Cliff designs for the Artist's Playroom and Inspiration Avenue challenges?  Because I'm a sucker for punishment.  I know many people love her work and I apologise to them for my bad taste! 

I have to say that her Art Deco design for a cup handle must be the most useless ever invented.


And even worse, the APR theme is Cups and Mugs.  Now I cannot draw a cup or a mug that looks realistic with the correct curves and ellipses, and I just hope Tracey Fletcher King never makes the mistake of looking at this blog post because she is, in my eyes, the Queen of Cups.


 The designs I've drawn on my mugs are not straight copies of Clarice Cliff designs.  The crocus and strange yellow tree cups are fairly close, just to get me going.  For the other three designs I have used elements that are common in her work arranged in my own designs.

The brush pens and markers were quite good for imitating the streaky paintwork that I disliked so much as a child, and I was quite pleased with the effect.  If you are interested in Clarice Cliff pottery you can see dozens of examples on the internet and perhaps be surprised at the prices collectors will pay.


The theme for Take a Word this week is Orange, and I think there should be enough orange in my CC mugs to qualify, but here's a bright little flower centre as a bonus.

I'm going to be taking part in the Summer of Colour challenges, which start next week.  Take a look at the Summer of Colour blog to see what's going to be happening.

30 comments:

  1. Oh wow! I love your cups!! They are wonderful!! Beautiful colors, and very lovely in form. Wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, poor old Clarice! Sorry you hate her designs. I suppose that handle is a bit awkward. I don't own any of her stuff being neither rich nor lucky!!! But I think your designs are gorgeous; I particularly like those crocuses; so bright they cheered me up! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. How funny that you made Clarice Cliff designs even although you don't like them. What a good idea for a challenge - make something you don't like. As a lover of orange, I think you have made rather nice mugs with beautiful patterns and thanks for throwing in the extra flower at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am thinking you are way to harsh on your mugs... they are quite fabulous... despite the useless handles... I have a tea cup with a handle like that and it drives me absolutely nuts... totally useless... but with these the bright colours make up for any handle shortfalls... I would also like to thank you for the title... I shall ask Phantom and sinus to bow to me at all times now I am a Queen... xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your mugs are like tracey says fabulous, so colourful, mugs with strange hasndles while they may look great are useless for drinking from, so thats my excuse for putting them into the handy container basket!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow thank you so much for introducing us to this artist...what a fun walk through google images...Your MUGS are AMAZING!! Some of her pieces are wonderful other combinations I'm with you!! I love love the last two mugs you created...wow you did a fabulous job! I agree Tracey truly is the queen of cups...and you are too after this showing!!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  7. Visiting from the APR - Wowzers jez! How can you say you can't draw mugs! Check mine - now that's 'can't' compared to yours, lol. Bu-ut I'm a beginner, and I'm reasonably happy with it and you should be WELL hapy with yours. ALLL of them, lol :0) Mo

    ReplyDelete
  8. It made me laugh that you drew something that you sound like you truly hate. I think my Nana is a fan of Clarice Cliff and I'll admit I love bright coloured whimsy houses. But I do agree, those cup handles are ridiculous! One way or another these sketches are so cute :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. Clarice Cliff crocus make me happy! Lovely post jez! I have just been to see the great Gatsby at the cinema, I just love the deco period, your little cups brim with the lively fun of this period!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wasn't familiar with Clarice, and it seems like something I should like, being a fan of the art deco era, and a fan of bright colors and a particular fan of orange, but after some googling, I find myself more firmly in your camp. I quite like the designs on your final cup, and if not for the absurd handle, I think I would enjoy drinking from it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love what you have made, and the colours, and the original mugs! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your cups Jez and admire the fact that you have chosen them as inspiration despite your dislike for the work purely on an artistic stance. We can learn just as much from what we dislike as we do from what we love and this is a perfect example:) Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm not familiar with Clarice Cliff pottery, but your drawings are wonderful, fresh and pretty! <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sweet artwork.
    I really like that second mug! :)
    ♥♥♥
    Happy PPF!!
    Mary
    Mixed-Media Map Art

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are marvelous and I had no idea who Clarice was, what a strange handle. I can picture the cup crashing out of the hand and to the ground.......but your illustrations are wonderful. Happy PPF

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh how pretty, LOVE your bright colors! HPPF!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I couldn't' help but giggling with your post... Yes, the handle looks like an uncomfortable thing to use, but you know what? You made the mugs so charming! Never heard of the artist but I love what you made here :oD

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful artwork for mugs. Love your Cups with flowers :)
    Happy PPF
    Erika

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think your mugs are gorgeous and just right. I love bright colours, even the Clarice Cliff ones (sorry) but I agree those handles are totally useless.
    Von.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You were very productive this week, and did an excellent job on all of them. I am not sure I've heard about Clarice Cliff, so I'll need to look her up. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nice artwork. Love your cups. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, as they say. I wouldn't want a cup like that either. That handle would cause it to fall straight to the floor. That being said, I love your rendition and your own creative take on the designs.

    ReplyDelete
  23. You're so funny making these mugs if you don't like them. I'm not familiar with her work, so I didn't realize what you were drawing until I read the post. That is an awfully strange handle, so I must agree. I'm afraid despite your protests, I'm rather charmed by your drawings. I guess a good thing can come out of something bad as is evident by your drawings! Heheheee! Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  24. you made me laugh and laugh, Jez. I love your "ode" and its odious connection. you've truly outdone yourself with the drawings and have clearly educated many of us about Clarice Cliff!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  25. whoa! bright and beautiful mugs!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lol, I've never understood the fascination with Clarice Cliff either. Bright, garish and totally useless handles. Wish I had some, so I could sell it. I do have a little flower dish by her, it's in the shape of a daisy and really pretty and it was my Nan's. I was amazed to see it was by CC coz it's not like any of her other stuff.
    Your mugs are gorgeous, you've done a brilliant job.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. As someone who's guilty pleasure is Bargain Hunt I know these cups of which you speak and am with you on this one. I don't get it. Don't know why people love it so much and just plain don't like it. But I love your drawings and you're right - those pens create the perfect effect!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beautiful and imaginative collection dear Jez! :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day, and I always enjoy visiting your blogs.
I have been shown how to remove moderation and yet avoid spam, so there's now no moderation and no word verification either.

I love to look at blogs that are new to me, but if you are on Google + I am sadly not able to comment, even though I do want to.