Friday 14 June 2013

SUMMER OF COLOUR, WEEK ONE

Watercolour and Pit Artist's Pen on Watercolour Paper
with a random border added on Photoship

The challenge for the first week of Summer of Colour is to use Citron Green and Turquoise.  While I'm quite happy with my painting, I am very disappointed with the colour reproduction from my scanner.

I usually like to take a photograph because false colours reproduction is a fault with my scanner, but today it has poured with rain all day from dark grey skies and there was no hope of taking a photo.  So I hope you will accept the colours here which were, on my painting, fairly close to the Citron Green and Turquoise (particularly as I used Pthalo Turquoise paint).


I never think of saying that whatever I post on my blog is all my own work - as this is - but it will always be my own inspiration and my own work unless I state a source, or unless it's from a very old book for vintage images.

The picture above shows the starting point of the painting.  I love drawing faces, and also often decorate them with designs of various kinds in this way.

For this initial drawing I deliberately chose to add a lot more 'hair' at the back of the head so that I could make a decision when it was finished about where to crop the image.  Actually, I like this stage best, because I like the clarity of drawings as against completed paintings.

If you like the idea of seeing many other bloggers' paintings with Citron Green and Turquoise, pop over to the Summer of Colour blog.

19 comments:

  1. OOH I like this very much..love the black lining too....great pattern and color. I took a photo of mine, but it also didn't seem to show the true color...maybe it's just citron....

    Thanks for sharing...love it!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  2. love your interesting sketch. Happy SOC, Annette x

    http://nettysartadventures.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! I think you've decorated it brilliantly and I will check out the other artists' takes on this colour combo too. I really love drawing faces and find all my doodles start and end with the human face. xxx Julie Ann

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a very 'Jez' face, you have a very distinctive style of drawing, and in a world of increasing similarity this is joyful thing! You have used the colour themes beautifully. I hoped to take part but may have to wait till next week as don't know if I have enough time. Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW, she is gorgeous! The colors look pretty to me and close enough to the prompt :).

    ReplyDelete
  6. scanners hate pthalos... I have to adjust them all the time... and it is the blue I use most... and the green so I am quite good at the adjustment... this face is fabulous despite the scanner issues...xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Must be something to do with turquoise being a contrary colour because mine was 'off' in the scanner too.

    I have to agree that this is very 'Jez' too. You have a unique style that I always enjoy seeing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. :) Oh my gosh, this is stunning! I have never said that either, I just assume everyone will know that it is my own work unless I say, at least I hope so!! :) My scanner distorts colours dreadfully as well, I hate bad for photo skies, especially when there is finished work to actually photograph!

    Very interesting hearing about your processes, and how you construct images.

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW! This is amazing! Your woman is absolutely beautiful! I love how you used the colors for the SOC challenge!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow...that looks really cool...x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic painting - despite the colour change courtesy of your scanner! She's just beautiful and its so interesting to see the comparison from your starting point of the painting through to the finished article. I also love the relaxed way you write your blog - interesting, engaging and easy to read. It was great to meet you this morning and to see your drawings on your phone - I look forward now to reading many of your blogs over the coming months.:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very original! Wonderful work, love it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This face reminds me of a powerful mermaid or even the queen of the mermaids. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now that's a cool portrait! I love how the colors really blend and bend together to form the face and LOVE how abstract and yet so identifiable it is. Such lovely work, thank you for sharing it with us, xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Really striking, original face - I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I never say that either - I just assume that everyone's work unless they say.. IS their work.

    I love this and it is a very Jez type face - makes me think of the wind and could illustrate a story about Aeolus.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day, and I always enjoy visiting your blogs.
I have been shown how to remove moderation and yet avoid spam, so there's now no moderation and no word verification either.

I love to look at blogs that are new to me, but if you are on Google + I am sadly not able to comment, even though I do want to.