Friday 19 July 2013

SUMMER OF COLOUR WEEK 6



It's the last week for Summer of Colour and the colour combination is sepia and sage green.  I've been away this week on a Summer School in connection with the Tate Liverpool Gallery's current exhibition of 60 works by Chagall.  The image above is a little 'out-take' from the drawing I show below, after I have explained how it came about.


At the end of the first day Dev and I were sitting quietly in the hotel lounge with a much-needed cup of tea.  I was looking at a wall lined with veneered wood when I saw a donkey's face in the pattern - in fact a few donkey faces.

So I grabbed my sketchbook and drew a quick sketch of what I saw in my mind's eye - a sketch, not a representation of an actual donkey.  When I looked at it again in the hotel room I was quite taken by what I had done and decided to use it as my entry for the SOC sepia and sage green challenge.  I only had coloured pencils with me, so I had to use what I thought were the nearest matches for the colours.


As usual I forgot to take a photograph of the drawing before starting to add the colour, but luckily thought of it just when I had started the ears.

I have no idea why the page came out blue when I photographed it, but they weren't the best conditions for photography.


Here's the completed drawing, and as a quick sketch I'm quite pleased with it.  When I took the blue cast out of the photo on Photoshop, I've only just noticed that it took out a chunk of the red border on the left.  Hey-ho, that's what happens when you're tired!

I'm going to post a few of the drawings I made on the course in a post next week.  It was wonderful seeing so many and varied pieces by Chagall, paintings, drawings, sketches.

I have enjoyed Kristin's lovely Summer of Colour challenges for the last six weeks, so thank you Kristin for the fun and for 'stretching' me, and I hope to be able to catch up with at least some of the other entries in the next few days.

Also linking this with Paint Party Friday , Manon's Paper Saturdays , Artists in Blogland  and Inspiration Avenue's Show and Tell theme.

28 comments:

  1. I love the sketch - kind of a magical donkey and the colors work very well - I've been very stretched color wise by several weeks of the challenge and I know that's a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jez I so often see patterns similar to this in my towels, bubbles in bath water all kinds of things always have. Great art as always.

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic idea, I love seeing things like this, what fun! Hope you enjoyed your summer school! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. fabulous donkey and love the inspiration from the veneer

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have a very inventive and creative mind. Only after you suggested the donkey with the veneer did I see the slightest possibility. Then, when I saw the donkey in all its glory, I was not just impressed, I was inspired. You draw SO well. This is a terrific entry for the final SOC colors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. great idea and love your entry for the final SOC. Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  7. what wonderful inspiration and vision-your donkey sketch is marvelous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this, and your inspiration. The photo looks good as it is too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have such a keen eye for design and shape Jez! I would have never seen the donkey, I am sure the school and exhibition are fabulous, I am hugely jealous, hopefully I will make it to Liverpool before the end of the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aaaah Jez I love how you were taken by what you had drawn that just shows you are a beter artist then you thought. You see how wonderful that is? I really admire you. Great work and I love the colours.
    ManonX

    ReplyDelete
  11. OW, I love to see how the laminated wall inspired you to create this marvelous piece!. Amazing detail & whimsical colors!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful, isnt it fascinating how objects and face etc appear out of nowhere.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! This drawing is absolutely incredible! I love how you got your inspiration and created this wonderful page! Thank you so much for sharing your talents with all of us at SOC!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing and hearing about the creation of your beautifully stylized donkey. It seems to me that your brain was most definitely in right brain gear after studying Chagall's work. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a very fun drawing.
    Have a nice weekend.
    Liefs, Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  16. How funny I can see the donkeys in your photo of the wall :-)
    And a great sketch for the SOC-theme. Oh Chagall is a favorite artist of mine. It must be wonderful to see his art in person!

    Happy PPF
    Ilona xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm happy I'm not the only one seeing faces everywhere ;-). Must remember to grab my sketchbook next time ... You did a wonderful job. Love the stylized donkey!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love that you saw this in the veneer of the hotel cabinets and that you sketched it too. This came out really cool-it's a very wise looking donkey I think.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is an awesome subject matter. Well done
    Nicole/Beadwright

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my gosh, I LOVE seeing what YOUR eyes saw, simply in the wood paneling on a hotel wall!!! Brilliant!.. I carry a small, handmade art journal in my purse at all times; but you know?.. I don't think I have my colored pencils with it! How WRONG is THAT?!! So impressed by your work, I running to put a set of my own in with my OWN travel journal! (0; Have a great day! ~tina

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love gazing at things in wood grain. I remember locking myself in the loo at the hospital when I went in to have Logan and seeing faces in the door :)

    I love your donkeys, they are very stylised and look like they should be gracing an urn or similar :)

    The course sounds a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Visiting from IA--that is truly awesome! So creative to have those faces just appear to you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I know. I've been here for SOC, but now I'm back to say how wonderful this post is the second time around, this time from IA. I simply LOVE how your mind works.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I see the donkeys in the wood paneling too! (Don't know if I would have though if you hadn't pointed it out.) I love your donkey, and love the way you see art everywhere!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day, and I always enjoy visiting your blogs.
I have been shown how to remove moderation and yet avoid spam, so there's now no moderation and no word verification either.

I love to look at blogs that are new to me, but if you are on Google + I am sadly not able to comment, even though I do want to.