Monday 12 March 2012

A DOODLING SORT OF DAY

Yesterday was a doodling sort of day.  I just couldn't settle to anything, so after a bit of desk tidying (i.e. moving things from the desk to a shelf, having moved things from that shelf on to the top of other things 'waiting to be sorted') I decided just to play around.  


First of all I sketched some shoes.  I love shoes.  Oh, if only I could still wear the four inch heels I used to run up and down eight flights of stairs in several times a day when I was working.  It was actually quicker than waiting for the only lift.


I liked what I had done, but of course it was only on a piece of copying paper, so I cut around it and stuck it on a painted journal page in my really messy journal, like this.  I think I'd buy the red ones, and bright shiny red patent would be just marvellous!






In amongst the things that had littered my desk was a background page, randomly painted and 'splodged' with spattered dots and faint smears of red.  It was a page I wasn't happy with, particularly with the colours, but suddenly among the smears of paint I saw a little girl and a bird sitting on cushions.  So I started drawing around the shapes I saw in my mind, and they came to life.  I just wish I had thought of scanning the original background page, but of course I didn't think of that until afterwards.


Here's the little girl with her pet bird, sitting comfortably on their cushions while she reads a story to him.  I never know how images like this appear in the mind from random shapes - just as it is difficult to look at many abstract paintings without the mind trying to turn the shapes into objects.



So it wasn't a wasted day after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day, and I always enjoy visiting your blogs.
I have been shown how to remove moderation and yet avoid spam, so there's now no moderation and no word verification either.

I love to look at blogs that are new to me, but if you are on Google + I am sadly not able to comment, even though I do want to.