Tuesday 24 July 2012

FASCINATED BY FACES


Of all the things I love to draw, faces are one of my favourites, whether I'm using a pen, paintbrush or even my beloved new toys, my I-Phone or I-Pad.  The little 'out-take' above is a traditional pen and paint image, and the full picture will be at the end, but the out-take below is an I-Pad production.



The full image, created with the 'Brushes' App, started out as a simple idea to paint three or four faces surrounding a central face, each looking in a different direction.  


By the time I had roughed out the initial faces I was hooked, and kept adding another, then another, then another.  I made myself stop before I had actually filled the page (which doesn't show up here because the paper was white) because I liked the triangular shape.

I was really happy with the result.  The best thing about Brushes is pressing the 'button' that shows a rapid replay of the whole process of drawing and painting the image.

As usual, I can't leave things at that -


and for this version I took the image into the 'Snapseed' App and applied a couple of different filters to grunge it up, so that it looks like a poster that's been on a wall in the street for too long.  I'm not sure what it would be advertising.




The next painting was a pen and brush image, done a few months ago, with the same idea of multiple faces in my mind.


Once again I just started drawing - from one edge I think - and kept adding more and more faces ..... at least I hope you can see that they are faces.

I love this concept of multiple faces and my mind is busy trying to think of another way to follow through the idea.


If you had patience and nothing better to do, you could count how many different faces there are, but some colours do have more than one face, and there must be more important things in life than counting faces.  

I did try, but I gave up!  And I do have something better to do - it's coffee time.  








2 comments:

  1. Those look great. I like that idea for portraits. I use Sketchbook Pro on my iPad but I'll have to try Brushes. That feature of playing it back sounds great. I think that's the program that David Hockney used.
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. amazing to look at...each time I pick up something else within the face...I tried counting the vivid color faces....couldn't keep exact track of where I was! I am going to have to look into that i-pad...hummm. Thanks for visiting my blog and your wonderful comments. Do enjoy the book!
    cheers, dana

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day, and I always enjoy visiting your blogs.
I have been shown how to remove moderation and yet avoid spam, so there's now no moderation and no word verification either.

I love to look at blogs that are new to me, but if you are on Google + I am sadly not able to comment, even though I do want to.