Sunday 26 February 2012

ART JOURNALLING

Enjoying myself is one of the most important parts of any creative activity I do, whether it's art or pastry-making.

Art journalling provides a great deal of pleasure, and has helped me to free up my drawing and painting styles.  I don't see it as separate from the way I worked before I discovered journalling, but something that now integrates and informs it.

The only thing I have difficulty with is writing on my canvas or paper.  Some people write a lot, some just a little.  I now manage to incorporate a few words, but it's a hurdle to get over.  It probably stems from being told from childhood not to draw in books because they are precious.  When I've painted something I'm pleased with I have to fight the fear that I will SPOIL my lovely picture.

This art journal page started with a drawing in my sketchbook.  I had given myself the challenge of drawing 100 faces in a month, inspired by the suggestion in a lovely book I got for Christmas called 'Drawing Lab - for Mixed Media Artists' by Carla Sonheim.   It gives '52 Creative Exercises to Make Drawing Fun', with the aim of 'freeing you up' and using different drawing and painting mediums.

This was drawing 99 out of 100, but I did go a couple of days over the month to get there.  I really enjoyed creating this face and painted the hair with kiddies' sparkly gel pens - just £2.99 for 20 pens!


So I decided to try a journal page with a version of the lady with the colourful hair, and even make myself write on the page, and I also added a collage bird cut from a failed painting.


She looked rather wistful so I imagined that she was thinking about the past and added the words 'One thing we can never change is the past - but we can change the way we think about it'.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day, and I always enjoy visiting your blogs.
I have been shown how to remove moderation and yet avoid spam, so there's now no moderation and no word verification either.

I love to look at blogs that are new to me, but if you are on Google + I am sadly not able to comment, even though I do want to.